20 November 2014

National Portrait Gallery

Last week I took the train to London and had a good dose of art and culture.

 

I started in the National Portrait Gallery with the William Morrs Exhibiton “Anarchy & Beauty"

It was really interesting to read about Morris's life and acquaintances.  He was very much a political animal as well as an artist and craftsman.

 

NewImage

 

 The Exhibition info reads "Anarchy & Beauty explores the life and ideas of the great Victorian artist, writer and visionary thinker William Morris. Through portraits, personal items and fascinating objects, many of which will be on public display for the first time, this major exhibition illustrates Morris’s concept of ‘art for the people’ and highlights the achievements of those that he inspired."

No photographs were allowed of course (as there never are when there is a book to buy - yes of course, its on the shelf).

For me the highlight was this embroidery by May Morris, worked in wools on linen.
“June frieze with view of Kelmscott Manor” 

Branches were transformed into trees and a medieval influence was clear.

NewImage

 

Following William Morris I headed towards the Tudor portraits.

its the details that I love looking at - portraits can be a wonderful resource as I’m so interested in historical costumes and ornamentation.

Elizabeth I by Unknown artist early C17th.

Eliz I unknown earlyC17th

 

Katherine Parr, attributed to Master John, active 1554-54

Katherine Parr Attr to mst John  act 1544 5


Mary I, Unknown artist, 1590-1610 

Mary I unknown 1590 1610

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:58 am

    Those close up details are wonderful on two counts - firstly the amazing textile details and secondly, the skill and detail of the painters, rendering them in nothing more than paint and talent!

    ReplyDelete