15 July 2014

Painting the bodice.

Cut out or not cut out?  That was the question.
I decided it would be easier to see what was what if I cut the pieces of the bodice out before painting them.

To keep the rather slippery fabric still I taped them to card, found the stencil I wanted and the Markals oil sticks.


Edwardian Dress 4

Edwardian Dress 5Q

Edwardian Dress 6 copy

 

Markals are oil paint in stick form and perfect for fabric decoration.  It takes a little practise, a steady hand and nerves of steel.
It couldn’t go wrong, there is no spare fabric (don’t ask, not my fault, more mis-sold with marks that I wasn’t expecting and had to cut around).

 I used two colours - silver and charcoal, blending the two colours as I went along.

Edwardian Dress 7

Edwardian Dress 8

Edwardian Dress 9

Edwardian Dress 10

Edwardian Dress 11

Leave for 48 hours, iron well (cover with parchment paper and use a hot iron) and then they are fixed permanently.

 

2 comments:

  1. Looking good! I am doing flames on my gown for Fashion Sans Frontiers.
    Will you be at FOQ? You should give your name to Wendy Gardiner for FSF next year!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its beautiful. You must indeed have nerves of steel to do that!

    ReplyDelete